DairyBusiness

Thread: Breeding back cows

Default Breeding back cows

Whats the earliest after calving you could or should breed a cow? I have a few I'd like to freshen a little earlier next year.
    Thanks Joe

You could go as little as 45 days after calving if cows were in good health.
    We start breeding after 50 days postcalving. This strategy aims to keep the herd average number of days open a lower number than industry averages.
    The end result is shorter lactations. This could be good or bad depending on how you view things. A 12 to 15 month lactation will produce higher milk production records per lactation. But you will get 2 calves in 3 years if you wait longer before breeding cows back. A 9 to 11 month lactation may produce smaller milk production records per lactation, but the goal is to produce 3 calves and 3 lactations in 3 years.
    Brings you full circle to comparing per lactation production to lifetime production.

Default Breeding back

While attending an AI promotion, they invited a local vet( Dr. Bennett, Glasgow,KY) to give a talk about breeding. He stated that if we wait to breed our cows at 60 days, with only 50% conception rate, then some of those cows are going long on days open. With every estrus getting less % bred. He suggested, especially in hot summer days, to breed at first heat. Simular to natural service. It has helped with breeding, but has lowered production.

I was thinking that if a cow calved in June and I could get her to calve in April next year or Aug. to June etc., I might make better use of pasture grass. In the back of my mind, I think I'll want to be seasonal one day.
    A cow was in heat last week 21 days post calving, and I'm sure a bull would have bred her. Since I'm not seasonal , I'm not that in that big a hurry yet. Also since I'm paying to have it done, I want the greatest chance for a pregnancy.

Just some free advice,worth every penny of what you paid for it...If you have any idea of going seasonal sometime in the future,then start rearranging your calving window NOW.Its darn hard getting all your cows calving at once,and even harder keeping them there. I've been trying for 3 years now to hit a 60 day window,and still can't get much more than half the cows to hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by JK870 View Post
    Whats the earliest after calving you could or should breed a cow? I have a few I'd like to freshen a little earlier next year.
    Thanks Joe
    hello we breed cows 35 days post calving if the animal had a hassle free birth and has cleaned properly on her own.
    it seems to work fine for us

As a rule of thumb on our 800 cow dairy we wait until 40 days to start up breeding. We give a lutalyse shot at 32 days and follow with another 2 weeks later if no heat is shown. After another two weeks if no heat is spotted we will start the ovsynch program.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofdairy View Post
    As a rule of thumb on our 800 cow dairy we wait until 40 days to start up breeding. We give a lutalyse shot at 32 days and follow with another 2 weeks later if no heat is shown. After another two weeks if no heat is spotted we will start the ovsynch program.
    hello king, can you tell me how your ovsynch program works? What are the conception rates like? where abouts in wi are you?
    thanks

Default Breeding back cows

One thing to keep open as an option in cows that won't breed back in a short time frame is the use of BST. Although I am normally not a big fan, BST is quite useful at keeping cows producing giving a larger window to breeding the cow back and keeping her productive. I know it saved a lot of cows that otherwise would have been shipped out for slaughter.
    Blessings through the Lord Jesus Christ,

mhgdairy

Healthy cows should be cycling within 30-40 days after calving. 2 year olds may take 40-60 days. I see no reason why people don't mate cows at their first heat. There is a 50% conception rate for these matings. Why wait?

Given the option and running with a herd bull, I've seen many cows run a 10-11 month calving interval. Saw one calve with twins, milking ~80lbs, and settle at 30 days post calving. I've seen several settle about a week post calving. I figure if a cow is cycling her reproductive tract is in good shape and she's getting adequate nutrition to maintain a pregnancy. If she's cycling and will settle to natural or AI service, then I see nothing wrong with trying to shorten her calving interval.
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~