DairyBusiness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bale wrapping

Default Bale wrapping

Well, I have jumped into the baleage depot. Have went with a trailer pull behind Kuhn. Can wrap right behind baler, and can keep up pretty good. only has one film wrap arm, but works pretty good. I was growing tired off the spoiled end bales, from the in-line, and see the long rows of white on my good dirt. So now I can stack them 3 high, if light enough, and can wrap them right after baling, which insures the highest possible quality, which lowers my feed bill. And then theres no more mad dash to pick them up to be wrapped. any thoughts or questions shoot.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FweSg...eature=related

tried to put a link on to a you tube clip?

Why did you decide on baleage?

Pro %, has typically been 2 points higher, baled, vs. chopped. Plus I love just putting one whole bale in mixer, and the length is great for cow health. also 24 hr dry time is handy. I still fill the "Blue tombs"....LOL you can not beat the smell,quality and cut length, anywhere. baleage has really taken off around here.

Our silos are gone and are replaced by trenches and baleage. I agree with the better cut length and quality. No mold and no innoculant used. I have a skid nearby to put the plastic for recycling which is my biggest issue with baleage. Also we need more space for baleage storage than with a trench and especially a silo.

I have been thinking about trying baleage. We do not have any equipment for it as we chop haylage now. I like the idea of the combo baler/erapper that Claas and krone have to save lots of time and labor.

We have been doing round bale silage for 20 years now. We really like it because we are a small herd of 60 cows and we cant feed fast enough out of a bunker silo without mold setting in. The bales are nice cause there is no waste. We cut the plastic off and dump it in our twin screw supreme mixer wagon. Our custom operator said that hes not gonna be doing custom baling anymore after this year. we are going to look at the McHale fusion 2 baler. Maybe we can get a good used one for the right price.

That looks like a nice unit. I am going to look at the Claas 355 uniwrap and Krone Combipack 1500 because there are dealers closer, I don`t think anyone sells the McHale other than the guys in Minnesota. Any Idea what the McHale cost new??

Brand new we where told would cost us $120,000 Canadian. We would have to order by the end of september for it to get here on time for spring. A rebuilt used one ( all new bearings , pickup teeth , and chains, with a 5,000 bale garantee) would cost us about $70,000

Just got a price on the Krone, around $76,000 USD. That is for the Combipack 1500 brand new unit.

I think the claas is around the same price as the Krone. I know the dealer has a couple krone Combipaks on the yard but i dont know of anyone using them around here, there are a few Claas units around and i think they work reasonably well although hey are a bit slower apperently. The McHale dealer cannot keep balers in stock they sell so quickly. i know of about 10 guys that have a McHale and they all love them!!! But i guess if you dont have a dealer close by to service you its kinda piontless to get one.

happy farming!!!!

Well I just took the dive and bought a new Claas uniwrap baler. Found a model that is couple years old that was used at shows for a huge savings and come with a new warranty. I am pretty excited about putting up some much improved forage next year.

well ....been awhile, thought i would give a few "lessons" learned the hard way, and more benefits, for those in the baleage crowd.

1)cheap plastic is worthless, finding after 6 months, the glue not holding very well, this year have the best plastic money can buy, with full tack on both sides.
    2)when wrapping singles in alfalfa field, the stubble will leave very tiny holes in the plastic, which when stacked 3 high the bales will squat and leave an air gap, which willl fill with mold solution is a bale turner so bale falls on flat side where theres twice the plastic
    3)some skill involved in stacking 3 high and have stay for more than a week
    4)baleing and wrapping to avoid rain, is easy, picking up 1800# bales after an inch or 2, not so nice, loader cuts in when turning much, my first bale trailer snapped completly in half, little under built
    5)plastic tears easy when picking up in 90 degree weather, when taping holes use the appropriate tape, not duck tape
    6)found out by not inoculating the baleage, it was aerobicly unstable in the feed bunk during the hot summer

so theres a few "hard knocks" for those considering, now for the goods and fixes

1)milk production solid in the mid to upper 90's
    2)cow health has been ridiculous, only 1 DA the entire year, fresh cows want to eat the ration, hiefers want to eat the ration, has a very good sugar smell. ketosis been non-existent
    3)this year purchased new baler with 55 gal inoculant tank,crop eye sensor, and in cab flow control, this will insure limited bunk heating in the summer
    4)also purchased a 11 bale carrier to use on the big tractor, and will wrap at the wrap site when possible, to speed the process
    5)had to add on to the cow barn due to minimal culling,no more goofy stuff, now have to many cows

so with all that said, if anyone has any questions, will try to help,
    I am completly sold on the stuff, plan to feed more than one 4x5 bale a day, if I get some rain, and have enough

Your health improvements are the same things that we see in our herd too!! I think its too easy to chop feed too short with a chopper, and its longer in a round bale and the longer feed solves alot of problems. How do you feed your bales? free choice whole? or mixed in mixer wagon TMR style? Sounds like it was a good move for you!! It sure makes farming fun when you change something and it goes better!!!

Cowman, glad to hear you like your switch to balage. This will be our first year with it so we will see. We did get the baler that has wrapper on it and did
    get the bale turner so they sit on flat side to help with puncture holes. We also got a applicator to put on innoculant so hope that works well. I do have a few questions, first what brand plastic do you use? The supplier we were going to go with sells sunfilm. Also what kind of tape do you use to tape holes- does plastic come with tape? Something like ag bag tape? Thanks

This will be our first year with all grass forage going into wrapped bales. We just did some ryelege last week for the first time in bales and have more to cut. I like being able to stack bales where ever I want like unused corners or empty corn silage trenches. All bales are custom baled and wrapped. We feed with a knifed verticle TMR mixer which cuts it a little more to the size we want during mixing.

My brother in law had some corn that dried up before tassle and he put it into baleage. He didn't tell many people.

All are milk cow and heifer hay is wrapped balage. Have been doing it this way for twelve yrs. With a small herd (45 to 50 milking) it works well. We use a inline wrapper where we wrap everything at home in a long line. Its advantage is you never move wrapped hay so no chance of puncture disadvantage is that it takes up lots of space. We generally wrap around 800 bales. Have been looking at a roto cut round baler to save time mixing with the TMR. Not sure if it would be money well spent or not. I think I would save a lot of fuel running the TMR less. Any thoughts

on the plastic, I called a major national supplier, he carried i think 12 brands, to get the real info. sunfilm is the biggest seller due to cost, sunfilm gold not a lot better, the top 2 quality brands are silo-tite, and polycrop. both have full tack on both sides, and they dont tear as easy as sunfilm, I found when I bales in 30mph winds the plastic would tear sunfilm, and winmore.

as far as feeding use twin screw vertical, bales are pre-cut with deere crop cutter baler. installed hay retention bar on top mixer, works really good, very happy.

tape very similar to ag bag tape, to try and pull it off you will tear plastic

Love the cutting baler, not sure how you would do it with out

now let me run this past you guys, heard a guy, doing HMSC, 30%plus, ran shredder right behind combine, then hay rake, then baled and wrapped, used a stay green corn seed, claims corn silage baleage, minus the corn........made me go...hmmmm, said smelled like sugar, he fed it to beef cattle for protien. Made me think hiefer feed

google jordan ag supply for plastic

Quote Originally Posted by cowman1820 View Post
    now let me run this past you guys, heard a guy, doing HMSC, 30%plus, ran shredder right behind combine, then hay rake, then baled and wrapped, used a stay green corn seed, claims corn silage baleage, minus the corn........made me go...hmmmm, said smelled like sugar, he fed it to beef cattle for protien. Made me think hiefer feed
    We have done that many times (only it went into uprights). We would run the shredder right behind the combine but our shredder could put it into windrows so we would just run after that with a chopper. It works well as heifer feed as there isn't all that corn for them to get fat on. The only problems are the lack of all that plant matter for soil erosion control and there tends to be quite a bit of ash/dirt in it, also it tends to be on the dry side.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Yes I bet ash is crazy high, didn't think of that. What moisture was the hmsc? and what dry matter was the silage?