Thread: 3x milking to 2x

Default 3x milking to 2x

I'm considering going from 3x milking back to 2x. Poor health, high feed bills and mental fatigue from milking 2 of those millings are to blame.

Has anybody figured out how much it costs to milk that extra milking? Not including labor, feed, or milk income, what does it cost to run the vacuum, wash/sanitize, dip cows, etc? Has anybody seen major increases in cull rates when going to 3x?

Have you considered robotic milking? There seem to be quite a few going in out there in PA. Lely is putting in a factory over in Iowa so it should be interesting to see what the price does. That's the only way I'm going to get to 3x milking.

I have a buddy that had a Lely for a year and a half and it is now turned off. Too many problems. I commented on another post and the link is http://www.dairyforums.com/forums/sh...ght=#post10606

As far as the 3x to 2x. I calculated that I wasn't making near the milk I had thought according to RHA's. So that day we stopped and are now 2x. Milk has already dropped to the previous 2x level so I hope it doesn't go lower.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one. Did your friend sell his Lely? There were three here in WI that were auctioned off a few weeks ago. They went for almost new money.
    Hope the cows level off for you. Are you just doing one milking yourself now?

My buddy didn't sell his yet. He joked about putting it out next to the road with a 'for sale' sign on it.

Luckily I am only doing the PM milking and get off one PM milking a weekend. I get up 2 mornings to give my parents a break. I find that even with lower hours I am more tired because I push myself more during the day. I have more time for projects. Oddly milking takes the same amount of time even though the cows give more milk during that time. However, last year I helped coach a baseball team in the late afternoon/early evening which I won't have time for this year.

I'm curious how much your SCC has risen since dropping back to 2x. If the production has dropped back AND somatics have climbed you are probably losing much more than you realize.

If he decides to sell we are interested. Cash money. Our milking is done by our handicapped sons. Right now they are learning. I'm getting construction permits for a pretty good size combination barn. Six unit Herringbone parlor. They use all of their production for feed. No off farm shipping. Right now they do their milking in tie stalls. Next step is stanchions. By next winter the new barn should be ready to go, sometime in late January. Anyone have any old stanchion headlocks for sale please let me know.

Thanks

CC

Quote Originally Posted by bmvf View Post
    My buddy didn't sell his yet. He joked about putting it out next to the road with a 'for sale' sign on it.

Luckily I am only doing the PM milking and get off one PM milking a weekend. I get up 2 mornings to give my parents a break. I find that even with lower hours I am more tired because I push myself more during the day. I have more time for projects. Oddly milking takes the same amount of time even though the cows give more milk during that time. However, last year I helped coach a baseball team in the late afternoon/early evening which I won't have time for this year.

Here, there and every where. Heading to back up there.

Unless your near 65+ lbs a day on 2x I don't think it pays to go to 3x. I know when we first went 3x back in the 70's we got a 17% increase and when we went 4x we got another 7% (milked the low enders 2x and the high enders 4x).

Quote Originally Posted by dclanfamilydairy View Post
    Unless your near 65+ lbs a day on 2x I don't think it pays to go to 3x. I know when we first went 3x back in the 70's we got a 17% increase and when we went 4x we got another 7% (milked the low enders 2x and the high enders 4x).
    How do you like the 4x for earlier and 2x for later lactations?
    Uncle went back to 2x after 20 years. 40% overcrowded and needed to get under his Base limit. SO he culled a extra liner of 3 teaters and old cows went to 2x and milk stayed right at 75-77# Shipped almost same amount of milk. He should of culled 2 liners a year ago! His situation is unique since he is so full the holding pen time was killing him. Guys whom went from 3 to 2 and were not crowded and all else was "right" have lost about 10#s or more. All depends on you situation

Here, there and every where. Heading to back up there.

cows loved it, we hated it.... the noon and midnight milking went really fast, that was a plus, but the drag of having to be there 4x a day made it too hard to get anything else done.